Buy now and pay later. This is a philosophy that has been a large part of the world economy for several decades. By using credit to pay for purchases, consumers can get to enjoy a purchase of large items bought on credit now, and pay for the item over the course of time, with interest paid to the creditor. There are various types of credit that can be issued to consumers. However, worldwide one of the most popular forms is the credit card.
Credit Card holders have a card which is connected to a line of credit established by the creditor. The holder of the card can have access to that line of credit through the use of the card. Generally the agreement will be that the credit card holder can payoff the entire amount without having to pay back interest to the lender within a month. If the amount is not paid in its entirety, the lender will be paid the amount that was used, along with a set amount of interest.
However, credit card users need to be careful about how they use the card. Only use the card with reputable merchants so that your credit card number is not needlessly exposed. If the card is exposed to dis-reputable people, you can be the victim of Identity Theft. Identity Theft is the stealing of personal financial information which is used by criminals. While legally you have limited financial obligation in the event of having your card stolen, without being cautious you could be facing countless days and weeks of problems associated with having your identity stolen.
To help learn more about the perils of Identity Theft, our security experts have put together this consumer guide.
How Credit Cards Work
- Credit Cards Overview – General information from Visa on how credit cards function and what you should look for when shopping for one.
- Credit Card Basics – Information on credit cards from the start as acquiring one to using one.
- Processing Overview – Useful page covering the processing of credit cards.
- How Credit Cards Work (PDF) – Excellent companion information about how credit cards function.
Credit Card Dangers
- Dangers of Cards – Blog presenting several possible dangers to be concerned with when using credit cards.
- Student Credit Cards – Article informing students about the potential dangers of credit card usage.
- Dangers of Using Debit Cards – CBS News article mentioning the potential dangers with using debit cards.
- Credit Card Fraud – Informative article from the Wall Street Journal talking about how credit cards can be the subject of fraud.
- Credit Card Fraud Information – Overview of the potential problems of fraud when using credit cards.
- Fraud on the Rise – Helpful page showing how credit card and identity theft fraud is on the line.
Credit Card Legal Protection
- Credit Card Rules – Information on the rules that govern credit cards.
- Consumers and the Law – Summary of the credit card laws and how they affect consumers.
- New Credit Card Laws – Useful article with information on the new laws that cover credit transactions.
- Credit Card Act – Official press release from the White House discussing the Credit Card Act.
- Credit Card Act – Informative page providing the official wording in the consumer act.
What is Identity Theft?
- Identity Theft Information – FTC website which covers a variety of topics covering Identity Theft.
- ID Theft Resource Center – Informative page with information on the problems of identity theft.
- Identity Theft and Fraud – Helpful consumer education page with information on theft and fraud.
- Identity Theft Laws – Listing of the laws pertaining to Identity Theft by state by state basis.
- Identity Theft Defined – Useful information on what is Identity Theft and how consumers could be in danger.
- Identity Thefts Facts – Consumer friendly page of information about identity theft.
Types of Identity Theft
- Types of ID Theft – Information on several different methods that criminals can use to get your personal financial information.
- Common Types of Identity Theft (PDF) – Helpful article which talks about five common ways that consumers fall victim to Identity Theft.
- Types of Identity Theft – Discussion and information on different kinds of Identity Theft in different categories.
- Identity Theft Types (PDF) – Informative document from the FTC on types and subtypes of Identity Theft.
Identity Theft Prevention
- Preventing Identity Theft – Consumer guide from the National Crime Prevention Council discussing ways to avoid being a victim.
- Identity Theft Preventions – New York Times article on how it can be easy and inexpensive to properly prevent being a victim.
- Theft Prevention Website – Useful information for consumers from a State Attorney General’s office on preventing Identity Theft.
- Information and Resources – Helpful site from the Better Business Bureau on how to avoid being a victim.
- Prevent and Report ID Theft – Informative page with tips on how consumers can prevent being a victim.