Defined by Merriam-Webster as “a display of products placed at the end of an aisle in a store”.
This is a “sacred” space for retailers…the place they want consumers to notice…and makers of products know this and are willing to pay significant money to be found there.
Go to a Grocery Store or Pharmacy and you will see they are promoting Gift Cards on one of these visible end caps.
The problem with this approach is that it perpetuates the old model of giving Gift Cards:
1) The selection of cards is very limited (end caps can only have so much space)
2) The cards are generic and cannot be customized or personalized
3) The purchaser of the card then has to deliver the card to someone
The Tower Group of Boston estimates that $11B of Gift Cards will be purchased Online in 2014. And online shoppers expect more from their online shopping experience than a visit to a store.
Local @ GiftCards.com is providing online shoppers with just that: A new and improved online option…basically providing an End Cap for the Internet. At GiftCards.com a Gift Giver can experience:
1) Variety: Choose from nearly 5 Million Merchants
2) Personalization: Customizing the card including uploading an image and personalizing the embossed or raised lettering
3) Ease of Use: GiftCards.com will deliver the Gift Card for you
I suspect there will always be end caps. But…for me and other online shoppers…I am looking for my end caps on the Internet. And GiftCards.com is providing a great one!