Gift Card Girlfriend at GiftCards.com helps consumers sort through the wide array of gift card products available this holiday season to pick the gift cards that are most likely to be used by recipients.
Pittsburgh, PA. September 12, 2013 – With the holiday season approaching, Shelley Hunter, Gift Card Girlfriend at GiftCards.com, says gift cards will once again top holiday wish lists and consumers will have more gift card choices than ever. With a multi-billion dollar industry full of gift card options that now include store brand gift cards, bank-issued gift cards, e-gift cards, mobile gift cards, video gift cards, and even Facebook-delivered gift cards, Gift Card Girlfriend offers the following tips to help consumers give the right gift card every time.
- Stick to Favorites. Pay attention to where the recipient likes to shop, dine, and be entertained, and then buy gift cards accordingly. The recipient is more likely to use gift cards at the establishments he or she already frequents.
- Give a Usable Amount. Recipients should be able to redeem gift cards without pitching in on the purchase. A 20 dollar iTunes gift card, for example, is easily redeemable for a variety of products. A 20 dollar Apple Store gift card, on the other hand, might not be enough. Pick a gift card that matches your budget while still giving the recipient spending power.
- Make it Convenient. Gift cards to stores and restaurants that are easy for the recipient to visit are more likely to get used, so pick a gift card that can be redeemed locally or online. If exact locations are unknown, select a gift card for a family of stores (e.g. Gap Stores), for an online service (e.g. Fandango.com), or choose one that can be used anywhere (e.g. bank-issued gift cards).
- Avoid Restrictions. Thanks to recent changes in gift card laws, most gift cards are valid for at least five years from the date of purchase and will not be charged fees unless inactive for over a year. To be safe, select a gift card with clearly disclosed fees and expiration dates so the recipient has access to all available funds for as long as possible.
- Pick the Best Type. Digital gift cards delivered via e-mail, smartphones, and social media are easy to give and to receive if both parties are up-to-date on technology. Select digital gift cards for recipients who are computer savvy. Choose plastic gift cards for people who are not.
Though there is no single gift card that is universally better than others, Gift Card Girlfriend believes that by following these steps, consumers can pick the perfect gift card for every situation.
Since 1999, GiftCards.com has been providing U.S. consumers withan array of gift card products including personalized gift cards, group gift cards, virtual gift cards, discount gift cards, and local gift cards, redeemable at millions of establishments across the country. In 2012, the company delivered over one million gift cards to American homes from Boston to the Bay Area. GiftCards.com is also a leader in gift card innovation with over 38 patents filed and 3 patents issued.
About Gift Card Girlfriend
Founded by Shelley Hunter and acquired by GiftCards.com, Gift Card Girlfriend is the consumer guide to gift cards. From gift card tips and practical advice, to inspiring ideas and insights into the gift card industry, Gift Card Girlfriend can address any gift card question or concern, plus share her signature way of turning gift cards into thoughtful, personalized gifts.