Collection of Information
We collect nonpublic personal and financial information (“Personal Information”) from you and other users of the Site. For example:
- In order to use this Site, you must first register by creating a password-protected account (“Account”) or signing on as a guest. During registration you are required to provide Personal Information, including but not limited to your name, telephone number, email address, and street address.
- Prior to your first purchase on the Site, you are required to provide payment information in order for you to pay us.
- Prior to your first sale on the Site, you are required to provide payment information in order for us to pay you. As a seller, you also may be required to provide us your date of birth as well as you social security number, EIN, or TIN.
- We collect additional information about your purchases and how you interact with the Site, including through the use of log/session files and cookies (discussed further below).
Use of Information
We use this Personal Information to enable you to use the Site, to guard against fraud, and to operate the Site and related services. If you purchase or sell a product or service from us, we use certain Personal Information you have provided to the Company for billing purposes and to fill your orders or process sales of gift cards to us. If we have trouble processing an order or acquisition, we will use this information to contact you. We may use location-based notifications to provide offers to you on your mobile device. If you don’t wish to receive these offer notifications, you can turn off this functionality in your mobile device settings.
We also may share or disclose Personal Information to third parties as follows:
- As necessary to effect, administer, or enforce a transaction requested or authorized by you, in connection with servicing or processing a product or service you requested or authorized, or in connection with maintaining or servicing your Account.
- To protect against or address potential or actual fraud, identity theft, unauthorized transactions, claims, or other liability
- In response to a specific request from law enforcement officials
- To comply with a judicial proceeding, a court order, or legal process served on us
- As required by law
- To consumer reporting agencies
- To resolve customer disputes
- For institutional risk control
- When we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights
- To vendors providing Company business or professional services, including to quantify converted sales with or from our affiliate partners
- In connection with a proposed or actual sale , merger, transfer, or exchange of all or a portion of the Company
Verification and Supplementation of Information
In order to guard against fraud, we may on occasion verify and/or supplement the Personal Information you submitted to us with information from third party sources.
Updates and Newsletter
We will occasionally send you information regarding the Site and related Company products and services regarding marketing offers for our products and announcements regarding Site updates and operations. When you are making a purchase through the Site, at check-out you will be able to opt in to receiving the GiftCards.com newsletter. You can stop receiving these newsletters by deselecting this option in your Account or by choosing not to opt in the next time you are checking out.
We will send you strictly service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so. For instance, if our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an email. If you do not wish to receive them, you can opt out at any time by going to http://www.giftcards.com/utils/email_opt_out.html.
Based upon the Personal Information you provide us, we will send you a welcome email. We will also communicate with you in response to your inquiries, to provide the services you request, and to manage your Account.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
The Company is the sole owner of the information collected on the Site. We do not share any of your Personal Information with any third party except as set forth above in the “Use of Information” section.
We reserve the right to disclose your Personal Information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, a court order, or legal process served on us. We also may use your Personal Information as set forth above in the “Use of Information” section.
Log/Session Files and Cookies
This information stored in session/log files and cookies includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, device tokens, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We may tie this information to your Personal Information in order to guard against fraud, analyze trends (e.g., regarding usage and sales), and administer and optimize the Site. We also may use collected information as set forth above in the “Use of Information” section.
Updating Personal Information
If your Personal Information changes, you may correct or update it by signing into your Account. If you no longer desire to use the Site, you may deactivate your Account by calling our customer support at 877-944-3822.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We have implemented security safeguards designed to protect the Personal Information that you provide in accordance with industry standards. Access to your data is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as credit card information) is protected by SSL encryption when it is exchanged between your web browser and our services. To protect any data you store on our servers, we also regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we use a secure enterprise data center. However, since the Internet is not a 100% secure environment, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us. There is no guarantee that information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. You acknowledge that you provide your Personal Information at your own risk and the Company shall not be liable for the unauthorized access of your Personal Information. It is also your responsibility to protect the security of your login information. Please note that emails, instant messaging, and similar means of communication are not encrypted, and we strongly advise you not to communicate any confidential information through these means. Please help keep your Account safe by using a strong password.
When it is appropriate to destroy or delete information, we will remove the information from our primary/online systems. There may be secondary/offline sources containing Personal Information at the Company, including backups and paper copies. As appropriate, we will take reasonable steps to remove such information from those sources as well.
In the event the Company goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, your Personal Information will likely be among the assets transferred. We will send you a notification via email or by an alert in your Account if there are any such changes in ownership or control of your Personal Information.