Using GiftCards.com Visa® or Mastercard® Gift Cards
There are no fees associated with using GiftCards.com Visa and Mastercard Gift or Reward Cards to make a purchase; however, gift cards that are inactive for more than 12 consecutive months will be charged a $4.95 per month service fee.
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions listed on the back of your card.
GiftCards.com Visa and Mastercard Gift or Reward Cards can only be used to make purchases. There is no cash access to the funds on the cards via an ATM or bank transaction.
Funds on GiftCards.com Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards do not expire. The expiration date listed on the front of the card (along with the CVN on the back of the card) is there to allow these cards to be processed by merchants as debit or credit cards. If funds remain on the card after the “Good Thru” date listed on the front of the card, call Customer Service to obtain a no-fee replacement card. However, gift cards that are inactive for more than 12 consecutive months will be charged a $4.95 per month service fee.
Although the front of the GiftCards.com Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards say “Debit,” cards can be processed either as debit or credit transactions. Credit transactions do not require a Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you would like to use a GiftCards.com Visa or Mastercard Gift Card as a debit transaction, visit the Change/Set PIN page.
Please note: the GiftCards.com Visa and Mastercard Gift Card or Reward Card cannot be used to receive cash from an ATM or from a cashier.
For CREDIT Transactions: If the purchase is greater than the funds available on the GiftCards.com Visa or Mastercard Gift or Reward Card, the card may be declined. To make a purchase greater than the balance of the card, split the purchase into two transactions. Tell the cashier in advance the exact amount to deduct from the card. Then pay the balance of the purchase with a second form of payment such as cash, check or credit card. Please note, not all merchants are equipped to handle “split tender” transactions.
For DEBIT Transactions: In order to use your gift or reward card as a debit transaction, you will need to enter a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at the point of sale. To set a PIN, visit the Change/Set PIN page.
Payment processing terminals at restaurants, gas stations and other service merchants vary. Additionally, online shopping carts may have certain requirements as well. Review the following suggestions to ensure your gift or reward card is accepted:
- Restaurants and other Service Merchants – Restaurants and other service merchants such as spas or salons may automatically run an authorization transaction of 20 percent more than the total bill to ensure the gift card has enough funds to cover a gratuity. GiftCards.com recommends that you ask the cashier to either charge only the bill amount (minus the gratuity) or reduce the bill amount by 20 percent and retry the transaction. Be prepared to pay the bill difference with another form of payment.
- Gas Stations – When a card is swiped at a gas station pump, the dollar amount of the transaction is unknown. So gas station pumps typically pre-authorize $75 or more on the card swiped. To avoid having this hold placed on your gift or reward card, pay inside. Tell the attendant to only charge the amount you specify and to run the card as a “credit” transaction. If you already swiped at the pump, it may take several business days for the hold to be released and for your funds to be available for spending.
- Hotels – At check-in, hotels may automatically place a hold on gift or reward card funds for the estimated amount of the stay, plus up to 30 percent for incidentals. To avoid having this hold placed on your gift card, use a credit card when checking into the hotel instead. Then pay the final bill with the gift or reward card.
- Auto Rentals – Many car rental companies require a credit card to make a reservation. To use a gift or reward card, reserve a car with a credit card but tell the attendant you will pay the final bill with a gift card.
- Online – If you experience difficulty using your gift or reward card for online or telephone purchases, it is likely the billing address for the gift or reward card does NOT match what has been entered. To avoid this mismatch, sign up for an account at GiftCards.com, register the card and assign an address to it.
Please note: the GiftCards.com Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards cannot be used to receive cash from an ATM or from a cashier. Additionally, transactions for online gambling sites, adult websites, money transfer services such as Venmo, PayPal and recurring bill payments will be declined.
Vermont does not allow the sale of cards with an inactivity or dormancy fee. All GiftCards.com Visa and Mastercard Gift Cards will be charged a $4.95 per month service fee for cards that are inactive for more than 12 consecutive months. If you have received a card and cannot register it because you have a Vermont address, please contact Customer Service for a refund. For more information visit State Gift Card Consumer Protection Laws.
To make an in-store purchase for more than the amount remaining on your gift card or reward card, you will need to know the remaining balance on your card and pay the difference first with cash, check, credit or debit card. Then use your gift card to pay the remaining balance or the last portion of the purchase. Please note, not all merchants can accept multiple forms of payment for your purchases.
For example: You have a $25.00 gift card and are making a purchase for $35.00. Pay the $10.00 by cash, check, credit or debit card and then have the cashier run your gift card for the remaining $25.00 balance.
Select “Balance” at the top of GiftCards.com to check the balance of your gift card. You will need to enter the 16-digit number on the front of the card and the 3-digit security code (CVN) found on the back of the card.
As of April 1, 2012, Federal regulations prohibit GiftCards.com Gift Cards from being used outside of the continental United States.
Please note: Transactions for online gambling sites, adult websites, money transfer services such as Venmo, PayPal and recurring bill payments will be declined.
GiftCards.com Gift Cards and reward cards cannot be used in conjunction with a PayPal account or for any recurring bill payments.
Store return policies may vary. You may receive a credit to your gift card, a cash refund or even a store credit, depending on the particular store. A credit to your account may take up to one week to process before it’s available for use. Please note that GiftCards.com Gift Cards and reward cards are not reloadable.
If your GiftCards.com Visa or Mastercard Gift Card is lost or stolen, contact Customer Service immediately. Provide as much detailed information as possible. Typically, lost or stolen cards will be suspended and a replacement card will be issued for a $5.00 fee, which will be deducted from the gift card value.
GiftCards.com Visa Gift Cards can be redeemed everywhere Visa Debit cards are accepted in the U.S., except at online gambling sites, adult websites, money transfer services and PayPal. Visa gift cards cannot be used for recurring payment transactions.
GiftCards.com Mastercard Gift Cards can be redeemed everywhere Debit Mastercard gift cards are accepted in the U.S., except at online gambling sites, adult websites, money transfer services and PayPal. Mastercard gift cards cannot be used for recurring payment transactions.
Virtual Accounts can only be used for online and telephone purchases.